Friday, June 22, 2007

A potent name is a join-the-dots game...

I saw the cover of a book on a post somewhere:

Love Is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song at a Time

I like the title of the book. It will make me buy it.
I think potent names are ones that manage to capture numerous latent(and often disjointed) associations in one place. They are like join-the-dot games...incomplete and full of dots that you fill with your own associations. You join the dots and suddenly it's no more a title lying on a shelf...it is a story that has your memories and moments in it...it is personal.

I remember Puneet buying a book called 'Emergency kit of poems for strange times' without even checking it out... it turned out to be a regular compilation of poems. But I'm sure there must be many more Puneets around who would have bought the book by just looking at the title. And that is what a good name is capable of doing.

Going back to '
Love Is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song at a Time' , I read the review and it seems to be just as interesting as the title is.
So if anyone is planning to gift me a book, you know which one to gift.

1 comment:

pandeyG said...

Ya..... I know what you mean...
I defenitely buy your argument.... not because its logical or sth, but because it comes from you...


Dude get over it .... no matter what speil you give ... people are gonna ask you about that silent 'A' in your first name!! FOREVER