Friday, February 06, 2009

Dev. D

I don't remember waiting as eagerly for any movie as I did for Dev D. The first rushes were promising, the soundtrack like nothing I had heard before. Dev D was taking shape in my mind.

After a long wait, it was time for the release. I was discussing what to expect with P and I told him that I'm hoping to be hit by a monster. To see the monster come out of me and take form on the screen. I really was expecting to see a few things inside me to run naked there, unapologetically.

I planned to see it over the weekend but got lucky and went for the late night show.

The initial part seemed like a slow build-up for what I was promised. The flavor was different and while there were some stark moments, it was mostly tamed and within the frame. There was humor of nicely dried variety, but I had not gone to get humor. I was itching to see it break loose and expose all edges. It was only after Chanda walked in that the movie took off. Andy Warholesque sets and dexterous camera-work started painting the mood. But it was the soundtrack that added texture and richness to the movie, something that was found missing in the dialogues.
Delhi, in the lanes of Paharganj, looked bewitching and mysterious like never before.

On the whole,  I was a little disappointed. The movie was not inward-looking. Not enough(maybe intentionally so, to make it more palatable for everyone). It also needed some more depth, some theheraav. That's what I missed the most. 

No comments: